Getting started at an online casino shouldn’t need to cost the earth. With a deposit of C$20, you can unlock some great deals and a top-class experience at many sites in Canada. C$20 deposit casinos are popular and whilst there are loads out there - should you trust them with your cash?Read more
Beginner’s Guide to Playing 3 Card Poker
Three Card Poker has a long history, and while the rights for this popular card game have changed hands often throughout its existence, it was originally called Casino Brag.
Inspired by 3-Card Brag, Three Card Poker was created by adapting the original game to allow casino players to bet against the house and not each other. The game was created in the mid 1990’s by Derek Webb in England who later sold the rights to Shuffle Master.
Later renamed SHFL Entertainment, Inc, Shuffle Master aimed to put their own mark on the game by trademarking the Pair Plus side bet in 2012.
Cards and Winning Hands
Also known as Tri Poker, Three Card Poker is played with a standard 52-card deck where there are two betting types available to choose from.
In order for the player’s dealt hand to beat that of the dealer’s or to qualify as a winning hand, the hand must be ranked.
From highest to lowest, the hands of Three Card Poker rank as the following:
- Straight Flush – Three cards all with the same suit in consecutive order.
- Three of a Kind – Three cards of the same value or rank. Higher ranks beat lower ranks.
- Straight – Three cards with mixed suits in consecutive order. The Ace card can count as either a low card or a high card with the highest ranking hand being Ace – King – Queen.
- Flush – Three cards of the same suit in no particular order.
- Pair –Two of the three cards in the hand must be of the same value or rank.
- High Card – When none of the above hands are dealt for any of the players, the player with the highest card in their hand is the winner. If two players have the same high card, the middle and lowest cards can then be considered.
Note: No suit is ranked higher than another. If players are dealt cards with the same value, but different suits, the game is tied.
The first round of betting is done before any cards have been seen. The player can choose to bet on one, both or neither of the betting types.
- Ante and Play – This is a bet that the player’s dealt hand will beat the dealer’s hand.
- Pair Plus – Paid separately of what the dealer is dealt, this bet is placed based on the quality of the player’s hand.
The Pair Plus side bet has always been a part of the game’s rules, but has only been a registered trademark since 2012 after being registered by SHFL Entertainment, Inc.
Based solely on the cards dealt to the player, this side bet is only paid out on hands containing a pair or better. The following winning hands are paid accordingly:
- Pair – Even money winnings
- Flush – 4 to 1 payout
- Straight – 6 to 1 payout
- Three of a Kind – 30 to 1 payout
- Straight Flush – 40 to 1 payout
How to Play 3 Card Poker
Once each player has paid the ante and all are satisfied with their bets, three cards are dealt to each player and then to the dealer. Once the player has viewed his cards, the next action must be taken.
One of two actions can be taken and from there the game can either continue or end.
- Option 1: After viewing the hand dealt, players can choose to place an additional bet (which must be equal to the ante).
- Option 2: The player can also choose to fold the hand, ending their participation in the game. Folding the hand means losing the initial ante bet and any Pair Plus bet placed.
Once the dealer’s hand has been revealed, a showdown ensues. There are four different outcomes that can take place wherein the player either wins, loses, or receives their initial bet back.
- If the dealer’s hand does not contain a Queen high card or better, the player is paid out even money and receives their ante bet back.
- If the dealer’s hand does contain a Queen high card or better, but the player’s hand is better still, the ante bet and play bet are paid even money.
- If the dealer has a Queen high card or better in their hand and the player’s hand is equal to it, the player’s ante bets and play bets are returned.
- If the dealer has a Queen high card or better in their hand and beats the player’s hand, the player loses and receives nothing. All bets are lost.
Additionally, a strong hand is paid a bonus regardless of whether or not the dealer’s hand beats that of the player’s.
- Straight – Even money bonus
- Three of a Kind – 4 to 1 bonus
- Straight Flush – 5 to 1 bonus
Easy to learn and fun to play, Three Card Poker is perfect for both new and experienced players of all kinds!
Latest News View all
Without a doubt, Las Vegas is the gambling mecca of the world, with millions of people visiting its bright lights every year. Most people head straight for the legendary Strip which is host to the biggest and well-known casinos. For many, it’s unthinkable to gamble at any other casino than the 30 which line the iconic Las Vegas Boulevard.Read more
Looking for an online casino that allows you to deposit a minimum of just $10? Good news - you have come to the right place. We are seeing more and more of these sites popping up for players in Canada, and they offer some great advantages.Read more
Italy and England will face each other on Sunday at Wembley in what has been an existing European Championship tournament. Hosted a year later due to the pandemic, the Euro 2020 will come to an end on Sunday at 3 pm, with the final taking place at Wembley. Is it coming home? Or is it coming to Rome? Let’s see what the bookmakers say.Read more
Let’s face it, most of us love a bonus. These are the joyous treats that keep us ticking and give us that little bit extra. Making us feel welcome at our favourite online casinos, or rewarding us for our loyalty. They come in all different shapes and sizes these days, as sites compete for our business.Read more
Crypto bring with it new opportunities and for all those online casino players who prefer to use cryptocurrencies for their gambling payments, we know of several online casinos that support Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum and other cryptocurrencies as a payment method. So, which of these sites can we recommend for 2021?Read more
It is always a momentous occasion when someone wins an online jackpot from a casino. And while many of us believe that they do not come around so frequently, several big winners were recorded in 2020. So, keep playing and you never know, you could be the very next person to claim a jackpot payout. Let’s have a look at the biggest online jackpot wins of 2020.Read more
UK online casinos that offer a £100 deposit bonus are quite common, especially as we see an increase in the number of online casinos, which results in greater competition between them - and better offers for players!Read more
Bankroll Warriors is our hit casino podcast, offering you a look into the world of the best slot games online at the top casinos around. So get right for lights, camera, and spin! Whether you’re after discovering the best bonuses or just after some suggestions for a new game, our new all-star streamer team has got what you need.Read more
You've watched the show, and now you want to play along with the Jon and Drew themselves - read on to find out how to get the best promos to maximise your bankroll with the Bankroll Warriors!Read more
Europe is a hotbed for casino gaming activity, and there’s little wonder. With locations like Monte Carlo, London and Malta all playing host to exciting casino escapades, it has quite the popular appeal for players. It is also due to this that many online casino slots have become popular in their own right with players from the continent. So, which ones can be considered the five favourites of European casino players? We’ve got a look at each of these and their inbuilt features below.Read more