Online Casino Guide for Irish Players
In Ireland, the players are luckily situated in a place where online gambling is not illegal - and any regulated or licenced off-shore casino which accepts Irish players is fair game! With tons of options available for all of your favourite casino games, check out our reviews and top lists to find the right casino for Irish players. Irish casinos will allow players to play slots or card games, live table game, and any other casino classics.
How Do We Rate the Best Irish Casinos?
There are a few things you should look out for when finding a casino online. Not all casinos are created equally, but we have assembled the best of the best in our top lists. Our rating guidelines are strict, and we cover all aspects such as fast withdrawals, a good selection of games, and whether the casino is secure. After all, if you will be trusting a casino with your money then it's vital that they tick all the boxes of what makes a great casino great. Here are a few of the things we mark them on when we are listing a casino.
- Regulated: worried that the casino you’re about to register on is not legitimate? All you have to do to find that out is to check whether it has the appropriate licenses from the right authorities. You will usually find all the licence details in a casino’s terms and conditions page. If the casino is listed on our website you can rest assured that it is licensed and regulated. Casinos available in Ireland will not have an Irish licence. Instead you should look out for a good one such as from the UKGC or the MGA.
- Customer Care: Online casinos tend to take good care of their customers with most offering live chat services 24/7, making it quite easy to reach a customer care representative. If live chat isn’t available, we expect casinos to have an easily accessible email or phone option. A casino’s FAQ page should also have answers to the very obvious or common questions listed. The most important thing is that you can reach them and speak in English.
- Game Selection: Typically speaking, each casino has a great range of games in its portfolio, but some casinos have an even more extensive game selection with a few casinos having thousands. Slot games will be the most popular, but each casino will have a selection of table games and some will also have a live dealer games option. The games you play from casinos listed on our website are produced by top notch software developers like NetEnt, Microgaming, Yggdrasil and Quickspin. The high-quality games promise entertaining themes, nice payouts and promised fun.
- Payment Options: Each casino will have a number of reliable deposit methods for you to choose from like: Skrill, Neteller and Paysafecard. These methods are safe, secure, and allow you to withdraw your winnings just as easily as you deposited. Most casinos will clearly list which payment methods they have available and how fast a withdrawal can be, or if you can benefit from instant withdrawals. To put your mind at ease that your money is safe, reputable casinos use SSL encryption to encrypt your data and keep it secure.
- Languages: Luckily for Irish players, more or less all online casinos have English as one of their language options; some will have a larger language selection than others, but English will almost always be an option. All of the casinos we have listed for Ireland use English as an operating language.
- Safety and Security: When a casino is licensed, security is usually a given. Apart from that, every casino ensures safe payment methods to put your mind at rest that your money is secure and that the website itself runs using stringent security protocol.
These are all good indicators of whether a casino is good or not – if a casino has these, then it’s a good sign that the casino is well-run.
Is It Legal to Gamble in Ireland?
Yes, and no. It's not legal to gamble in a land-based casino in Ireland, so players who prefer slots will have to rely on online gambling. Online gambling is completely legal in Ireland, so long as the casino is based abroad. Irish players can at least enjoy the fantastic online selection available to them on the hundreds of great casinos we have listed on our site, from the comfort of their own home.
If you are ever unsure that a casino will accept Irish players, be sure to check their terms and conditions. Usually on this page they will list any restricted countries (countries that they do not accept). You should also be physically present within the republic if you try and play at a casino - using VPN software will more often than not disqualify you from playing and you will forfeit any of your winnings or bonuses.
However, if you wanted to play Poker offline, you can play it in a small number of officially licensed poker rooms across the country. If you are a fan of sports betting or betting on races, you will have better luck, as this has been legal in Ireland for many years. It was regulated in the 1930s and has remained legal since then. Both of these can be found online in great poker casinos and sportsbooks, just the same as any other casino game, however.
Who Regulates Online Casinos in Ireland?
Ireland does not currently have an active regulatory body for licensing and regulating online casinos. In order for an online casino to be able to offer its services to Irish players, they will need to be registered with the Revenue Commissioner as an online operator accepting wagers from Irish citizens. Local casino operations also have win and wager limits in place for Irish players at Irish casinos.
While Ireland does have certain gambling regulations, laws and amendments in place, Irish punters are free to gamble at any regulated and licensed offshore online casino that holds a European-based licence (Usually granted by the MGA or UK Gambling Commission) and accepts Irish players. As long as the online operator is paying tax in Ireland, the online casino is allowed to offer its services to Irish players. However there are many different gaming regulators across Europe, any many of them are very reputable.
As of 2019, the Republic of Ireland decided to take an updated approach to online gambling and in December 2020 began implementing a nationwide gambling regulator to oversee all gambling practices, especially online. This means that in the future the market will be regulated and online casinos will have to apply for an Irish gambling licence in order to offer their solutions to Irish residents.
Not only does this make online gambling much safer, it will also allow for the country to collect respective tax money owed by operators.
What Are the Gambling Laws in Ireland?
Gambling is legal for all Irish citizens and most casinos are licensed by international gaming commissions such as the Malta Gaming Authority, or any European-based legislative body. If a citizen is over 18 years of age, they are allowed to gamble on slot machines and other games of chance. Players do not need to pay taxes on their winnings and online operators need to part with 1% tax on their revenue, if they are offshore providers. Online poker and sports betting solutions are also legal, meaning players will have the full range of gambling options available to them.
This does mean however that there are no locally-licensed casinos offering online betting to Irish customers. This means that the casinos you should be on the lookout for are the ones with the aforementioned licences and which are casinos that operate within the EU. They will all also offer Euro as a payment method, which is great for Irish customers. If you find a local sportsbook or bookmaker in Ireland, it'll just be a land-based operator that doesn't have an online casino site counterpart.
Can I Gamble in Northern Ireland?
Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, and so would fall under the UKGC’s remit in terms of gambling legislation enforcement. With regards to gambling regulations in Northern Ireland, they fall under neither the laws enforced in the Republic of Ireland, nor under the UK Gambling Commission’s legislation policy. The gambling laws set out for Northern Irish citizens effectively come from the Department of Social Development, under the Betting, Gaming, Lotteries & Amusements (NI) Order 1985.
As you can tell, this bill has not been updated since 1985, effectively not covering the online gambling scene that has emerged over the past 20 years. This means that there are no clear regulations or restrictions for players based in Northern Ireland, but it is up to the online operator to choose to accept players from Northern Ireland or not. We urge everyone to gamble responsibly. Should you need further information, please refer to our responsible gambling guide for information and helplines.
Irish Casino Welcome Bonuses
Probably one of the best things about joining a casino is the welcome bonus that they offer. If you do your homework well here, you might be in for some awesome bonuses to really amp up the casino experience.
- No Deposit Bonus: No deposit bonuses are a bonus that the casino gives you without you needing to add any money to your casino wallet. These can be awarded when you register, as a reward for becoming one of their customers, or they can be credited to you as part of a promotion. Usually no deposit bonuses have wagering requirements that apply to them, so be sure to read the terms and conditions before you accept one.
- Deposit Bonus: A deposit bonus is when a casino gives you a freebie when you deposit money into your account. Sometimes it’s a special bonus for your first deposit, second deposit, and so on, and sometimes it can be part of a timed bonus – for example, topping up your casino wallet at the weekend. Sometimes these bonuses are a deposit match, so you will receive a percentage of what you deposited over and above that. In other cases, they can be free spins on particular games. The welcome bonuses you choose should depend on how you aim to make use of your time on the casino. If you’re more into slots, then finding a welcome bonus with free spins is probably a smart move, whereas if you’re more into table games, a percentage match up alone could be better for you. Some casinos also offer welcome bonuses based on their sportsbook section, so you’re likely to find what you’re after no matter which casino.
- Free Spins: In some cases, casinos will give you free spins to be used on a particular game, as a gift for registering or depositing. T&Cs apply in most cases, however you can find those on the terms and conditions page of any promo. Usually these free spins will be locked to one game or a selection of games, but you can still enjoy yourself playing with them without needing to spend more of your own cash, making them a great option for trying out a new game.
- Either way, make sure to always read the terms and conditions carefully before signing up to any casino for their welcome bonus; the bonuses are typically quite generous, but there may be some requirements that apply, such as wagering requirements or a winnings limit.
Best Irish Online Casinos Bonuses 2021
Some of the best casino bonuses for Irish players can be found on our listings. Here are a few to get you started - read below to find out more about what bonuses at Irish casinos you can find.
||Up to €200
||Up to €1000
||Up to €500
||Up to €100
||Up to €100
Best Irish Casino Payment Methods
There are plenty of payment methods available for Irish casino players, whether you’re after an eWallet solution such as Skrill or if you want to top up by card such as with Revolut. We’ve got a brief explainer on each Irish casino payment method available below.
Revolut Casinos Ireland
Revolut is a payment method that plenty of people love to use – it’s easy to set up, convenient to use, and being mobile-based means that it’s fantastic for Irish casinos. With the ability to switch currency built into the app, it makes it easy to top up your casino wallet or withdraw your winnings fast even if the casino itself doesn’t use Euros. For a full list of Irish casinos that accept Revolut, check our main Revolut payment method page.
Google Pay Casinos Ireland
Google Pay makes life easier to collect all of your payment methods and accounts together. You can link your bank account directly to your GPay wallet. To top up your wallet, you simply need to enter your GPay details on your casino account and your funds can be transferred. It allows fast deposits and near-instant withdrawals, and can be used directly on your device, making it great for mobile casinos. Irish casinos using Google Pay make for a great option for Irish casino players.
Skrill Casinos Ireland
Skrill is one of the best-known eWallets on the market, with thousands of users across the globe. It’s no wonder then that it’s one of the most popular payment methods for Irish casinos. With fast deposits and fast withdrawals, and great currency and mobile support, Irish casinos that accept Skrill are very common and a great choice for players who use this payment method.
Neteller Casinos Ireland
Neteller is one of the most widely-accepted casino payment methods available in the online casino world. Almost all Irish casinos accept Neteller, so for Irish casino players this is perfect. With Neteller’s secure system which is accepted in over 200 countries worldwide, and is known for its fast withdrawal system, which can sometimes be an instant withdrawal if the casino is efficient. Casinos in Ireland which accept Neteller are easily accessible for Irish casino players, so be sure to check our rankings for the best Neteller casinos.
Best Mobile Casino in Ireland
In Ireland, players can access a huge range of casinos from some of the best brands. With plenty of the biggest and best having mobile casino apps or mobile-first sites, options for playing on the go are fantastic for Irish players. Playing on your mobile device or tablet means you don't have to even get out of bed or off the sofa to continue having fun, and these site options make it a seamless experience with no lag, errors, or bad sizing on the site itself.
Mobile casino is available for both iOS devices and Android devices. You should just make sure that your device is up to date and that you are using the most recent version of the app.
If you're unsure as to what to look for in a mobile casino, some good things to look out for are:
- A secure and up to date app, or a well-optimised website for mobile;
- A full selection of games that matches what's available on the site;
- Fast loading and no ads;
- Games optimised for mobile play.
If a casino site offers these features and aspects of a mobile app, you're in good hands!
Best Irish Sports Betting
Sports betting is popular in Ireland, and for good reason – it’s exciting, and fun, with the outcome never set in stone! Luckily, many online betting sites have perfectly mobile-optimised options for on-the-go use. Casinos like William Hill, 22Bet and Rizk Casino offer great online sportsbook solutions with live odds and updates of ongoing matches. With many sites offering markets for betting up until the danger zone of a match, the opportunities for betting practically never stop! You can also place multiple / parlay bets before a match or tournament kicks off, in order to see how your bets pan out over the course of a tournament or cup. So whether you prefer to make your bets before or keep up with the fast-paced action, you can do either from Ireland.
The first kind of gambling that was allowed in Ireland was solely based on Sports betting back in 2001, with the Horses and Greyhound Races act. This amendment allowed Irish people to place their bets with online bookmakers outside of the country. The 5 top most popular sports to bet on in Ireland are:
- Horse Racing;
- Greyhound Racing;
- Gaelic Football;
Horse and Greyhound racing have a long history of popularity within the country, with Gaelic Football probably being the most popular sport to watch; however, in the past decade, there was a noticeable growth in betting on these sports
FAQ About the Best Irish Casinos
Looking for more information on the best that Irish casinos have to offer? We’ve answered a few of the most pressing questions that players tend to have – check out the answers below.
This page was written in 2019, and is now maintained by Daniel Hardman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have any questions or see any discrepancies on this page, feel free to reach out to him. The casino list at the beginning of the page is revised each month, to ensure we only offer the very best casino sites to our readers. We have a few references below which are useful if you want more information.
References for This Page