Legal Gambling in West Virginia
Online gambling in West Virginia is newly-regulated, meaning that all new online casinos that want to operate within the state must go through the West Virginia Lottery. A certificate has to be obtained in order to operate or to promote any casino activity within the state.
Sports wagering became legal in the state in 2018, but only in 2020 did we find that casinos were making their debut in the online world. The first operator on the scene was DraftKings Casino, which accepted wagers as part of a partnership with an existing land-based casino. West Virginia is now the fifth state to offer online gambling options to players, after New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Nevada.
Legal Games in West Virginia
The legal situation of casino games can be different from game to game. Let's have a look at them.
WV Online Poker
In 2020, West Virginia launched its first online casino. Since the establishment is recent, online poker is still yet to be regulated and legalized in the state. Despite this fact, players can expect WV to launch online poker soon.
Sports Betting in WV
Generally speaking, online gambling has only been legal in the state of West Virginia from 2020, with DraftKings being the first online bookie to be established. This made West Virginia the fifth state in the United States to legalize sports betting and, today, it has three online sportsbooks. Land-based sportsbooks are allowed to partner with a maximum of three land-based gambling houses. Online sportsbooks that you can look forward to including:
West Virginia has three types of lotteries: multi-state, draw games and video lotteries. Draw games that West Virginia residents can enjoy are Cash 25, Daily 3, Daily 4, Keno, Lotto America, Mega Millions, and Powerball. VLT's and scratch games are also available all over the state.
Lottery players who enjoy convenience may be slightly disappointed to find that lottery tickets can only be purchased from land-based retailers since the West Virginia lottery does not have permission to sell online tickets. Their lottery websites only go as far as providing the necessary information.
Online Casino Regulation in West Virginia
In 2019, online gambling was legalized because of the West Virginia Lottery Interactive Wagering Act, which allowed each land-based casino in the state to launch an online casino.
When it comes to the commissions and organizations that are now in place to regulate online casinos, we see evidence of the following:
- The West Virginia Lottery Commission regulates casino games, sports betting, poker, and daily fantasy sports.
- The West Virginia Charitable Organizations Division regulates bingo.
- The West Virginia Governor who regulates the lottery.
- The West Virginia Racing Commission regulates horse racing.
Safe Casinos in West Virginia
If you are looking to take your gambling experience online and want some tips and tricks, you can try the following:
- Make sure that the online casino has an easy and secure cashier system in place.
- Check to see that it has a less confusing design and functionality.
- Scout through their gaming options to see if their options are modern.
- Read through their promotional offers to see that they are valuable and transparent.
- Always read through the online casino's terms and conditions to compare with reputable online casinos.
- Check the online casino's license to ensure that the casino is licensed to operate. Try to stick to licensing bodies that are leading regulatory bodies within that state or region, such as the West Virginia Lottery Commission.
- Always do your research in finding reviews online regarding that specific online casino. Online casino guides and listings can be of great help in these instances.
Minimum Gambling Age in West Virginia
The minimum gambling age in West Virginia depends on the type of gambling that the player will participate in. Daily Fantasy Sports, Horse Racing, the Lottery, and Bingo have a minimum age requirement of 18. Casino Games, Sports Betting, and Poker have a minimum age requirement of 21.
When it comes to geolocation on who can participate in online gambling in West Virginia, unfortunately, players need to be within the physical borders of the state to place a wager. This is according to the state gambling laws. Online casinos use the player's IP address details to identify their geolocation data from their devices.
Blacklisted Casinos in West Virginia
So far, we have not identified any online casino that has been banned or blacklisted in West Virginia.
Other Security Information
Sign up at an Online Casino in West Virginia
Registration and signing up to any online casino in West Virginia is simple and straightforward to do. General steps are as follows:
- After identifying a credible and reputable online casino, head over to the site's section that registers new players.
- Provide details such as your first and last name, physical address, email address, gender, date of birth, mobile number, and the last four numbers to your Social Security number.
- Proceed to create a unique username and password for your account.
- Answer a few security questions.
- Choose if you would like to either opt-in or receive a two-factor notification
- Provide a promotion or deposit code if you have one, and then proceed to submit afterwards.
Here are some of the online casinos you can play in West Virginia.
West Virginia Casino Bonuses
West Virginia does not yet have many online casinos to choose from, seeing that they only recently gained approval. For this reason, it makes the existing pool a small one that can gradually increase over the years.
First Deposit Casino Bonuses
Regarding first deposit bonus offers in West Virginia, we have found that the few online casinos available provide matching bonuses that typically go as far as offering a match of up to 100%. A good example of this is DraftKings where they offer players a 100% deposit match up to $1500. Ensure to run through the online casino's terms and conditions to be aware of important details, including factors like the bonus' wagering requirements.
Claiming Your Sign up Bonus
Claiming bonus offers is typically straightforward to do. As with most online casinos, the crucial bit would be to ensure that you have covered the minimum deposit required and met the offer's wagering requirements. With BetMGM, for example, to claim the $1000 deposit match bonus, you would need to wager $15 and have achieved a wagering requirement of 15X. All this can be found in the terms and conditions of the site, and you should always note that some games may have different requirements when it comes to claiming.
Types of West Virginia Casino Sign Up Bonuses
Deposit Welcome Bonus: If we look at West Virginia sites like BetRivers online casino, they offer a typical example of what a general deposit welcome bonus would look like by having a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus. Once you have met the minimum deposit amount, your account will automatically be credited with the bonus offer, and you can enjoy playing with double the deposit amount. As with every other site, you'd need to ensure that you have met the wagering requirements needed to claim and withdraw the reward.
- Free Spins: Since online casinos are gradually making their way in the state, we have not yet found any free spin offers. Typically, you would find sites offering free spins together in a match bonus; however, match bonus offers in West Virginia generally have a deposit bonus matched with an added bonus amount. A good example would be BetMGM Casino which offers players 100% up to $1000 plus $25 upon signing up. Usually, with other sites in other states, you'd find that the $25 sign up bonus would be replaced with free spins casino bonuses.
- Cashback Bonus: We see many cashback bonuses in West Virginia, which appear in many deposit welcome bonuses. Again, with the welcome bonus offered by BetMGM, we see that they have a cashback offer of $25 to reward new players for signing up.
- No Deposit Bonus: A fantastic example of no deposit bonuses offered in West Virginia would be like the one at DraftKings Casino. Here, they offer players $45 for signing up if they don't make a deposit. Since online casinos are relatively new to the West Virginia market, no deposit bonuses can be a popular tool used to attract new players to online casinos.
- Free Bet: Free bets vary depending on your choice of casino, but these bonus offers tend to involve free play vouchers or free spins during slot games for new players.
Terms & Conditions of the Bonuses
Terms and conditions outlined in online casinos that address sign up bonuses usually provide detail on:
- Wagering requirements.
- How the various bonus offers can be claimed.
- Casino games that have been excluded from bonus use.
- Minimum and maximum bet restrictions.
- Slot games that qualify for free spins.
- Payout limits.
After making a deposit and claiming any bonus on offer, each online casino stipulates the number of times a player needs to wager to qualify for withdrawal.
WV Casino Payment Methods
West Virginia offers its players various payment options that they can choose from on their online casinos. Common options would include e-wallet services, card payments, and bank transfers.
Mobile Gaming in West Virginia
Thanks to HTML5 technology, mobile gaming is now a possibility. All online casinos in West Virginia have launched mobile apps for players to enjoy a full gaming experience with a wide selection of games and full access to deposits and withdrawals.
West Virginia Online Casino Apps
Players can wager on their mobile devices. You can download the apps on Android and iOS devices. The apps can either be downloaded straight off the online casino's site or from App Store and Play Store.
In-Browser West Virginia Casinos
If you're more of a browser fan, you can still access the online casinos through your mobile browser for a full gaming experience.
Since online casinos have only recently made their presence in the state, it's understandable to see that there's still a lot more that needs to be added. With the selection they already have, the online casinos have made an effort to give players a decent experience in online gaming, with games in popular selections like slots and table games. Having a live casino would be a fantastic addition to the collections especially considering that the pool of online casinos in West Virginia is still relatively small, and they are similar in selection.
The bonus offers are pretty competitive, seeing that the online casinos are working to attract new players. They have placed much emphasis on no-deposit bonuses, which is fantastic for drawing in new customers. In addition to that, they also have a good selection of payment options that offer considerable fees and reasonable withdrawal times. In a nutshell, it's a good start.
You can also play the best sweepstakes casinos in WV, to try a new social casino experience.