It's just been a few days into the year and we already have Global Poker open the doors wide open with their second edition of the Monsterstack Series. Starting January 9th until the 22nd with GC 400,000,000 and SC 1,000,000, and 56 trophies to win!Read more
Spotting Fake Sweepstakes and Lottery Scams on Social Media
The Federal Trade Commission received around 148,000 cases of reported fraud from fake lottery, sweepstakes and prize scams in 2021. This is a 27% increase from 2020 figures and has seen members of the public defrauded of $225 million in one year. Even the most switched-on social media user can fall foul to these con men who are experts in the field of scamming. In this case, what steps can you take to ensure you don’t become part of the ever-growing sweepstake and lotto frauds?
Telltale Signs of a Prize Scam
Who doesn’t want to win a lump sum of cash, a luxury car or a dream holiday? This is the first step of sweepstakes and lotto scams on social media. And these prizes are all nonexistent.
The main signs to look out for are:
- A request for you to pay to receive your prize. Often this is in the form of ‘taxes’ or ‘fees for shipping or processing your gift'.
- You have to hand over your financial details to receive your prize.
- Genuine sweepstakes are free to play, yet scammers do ask users to send money to ‘increase their chances of winning’.
Fake Sweepstakes and Lottery Red Flags
The first point of contact that a scammer will make with you on social media will usually be via private message. Though often they might comment on a public post that you made, or as a reply to a comment you left on another user's profile. There are various ways in which users are ‘hooked in’ and it’s important to be able to spot those red flags before things get out of control:
- Sweepstakes scammers will use free email addresses such as Gmail and Yahoo Mail
- Scammers pressure you to ‘act fast - don’t miss out’
- The lottery win is from a foreign lotto unless it is a legit multi-jurisdictional lottery, the lotto is likely to be a scam
- You could be instructed to keep your prize a ‘secret’ from others
- You are asked to click on a link within the message to claim the prize or call an overseas telephone number with your bank details
- The message could appear like it’s from a legitimate organisation, but it isn’t
- There are blatant typos and images within the message which don’t look official
- Scammers often pretend they are your favourite celebrities, contacting you with an exclusive prize
Crooks will often create realistic-looking profiles to swindle you out of your money. With Facebook Messenger being the preferred first step for the majority of fake sweeps and lottery scams. This app can be used by strangers or even scammers who don’t have a Facebook account.
One such popular scam is the Publishers Clearing House (PCH) fraud. Or scammers use a fake profile depicting either Mark Zuckerberg or Sheryl Sandberg. The New York Times recently reported that it discovered 208 such Facebook and Instagram accounts with around 100 profiles belonging to lottery scams.
How to Spot a Scam on Instagram
Spotting the tricksters on Insta is a little different and fraudsters tend to be more sneaky on this social media platform. Recent trends seen from scams include:
- The sweepstake or lottery requests you to complete a lot of tasks. Surveys, clicking boxes, following various links etc.
- The account which contacts you doesn’t have many followers and it hasn’t posted much content or had any recent activity.
- The account claims to be from a reputable organization but doesn’t have the blue verified ‘tick’.
- The post will encourage you to share, comment and tag your followers, for more chances of winning
- Random hashtags are used and there are bots in the comments
Latest News View all
We wanted to see what ChatGPT 'thinks' of gambling - more specifically, if there are any tricks for gambling in order to get more of an edge - and the results were both impressive and surprising.Read more
Before signing up, you should know that not all online casinos are trustworthy. There are many completely safe and reputable casinos out there, but you should always check a few factors before signing up with and depositing money at a new online casino.Read more
It is common for a gamer to want to know about the best slots to play. And this includes the ones that are the best for payouts. Of course, there are various developers operating today, creating entertaining, high-quality slot games with amazing payouts included. Therefore, we have put together a selection of the best payout online slots for you to experience and separated them into their respective developer sections.Read more
Gambling is not something that is restricted to one specific area of the world. In fact, it is present in more countries than you may know, be that in an official way or a bit more of an underground format. Whatever the case may be, gambling has become an appealing pastime for many people all over the globe. So much so that various cities around the world have risen to obtain the status of being the biggest gambling locations today.Read more
Italy and England will face each other on Sunday at Wembley in what has been an existing European Championship tournament. Hosted a year later due to the pandemic, the Euro 2020 will come to an end on Sunday at 3 pm, with the final taking place at Wembley. Is it coming home? Or is it coming to Rome? Let’s see what the bookmakers say.Read more
Let’s face it, most of us love a bonus. These are the joyous treats that keep us ticking and give us that little bit extra. Making us feel welcome at our favourite online casinos, or rewarding us for our loyalty. They come in all different shapes and sizes these days, as sites compete for our business.Read more
It is always a momentous occasion when someone wins an online jackpot from a casino. And while many of us believe that they do not come around so frequently, several big winners were recorded in 2020. So, keep playing and you never know, you could be the very next person to claim a jackpot payout. Let’s have a look at the biggest online jackpot wins of 2020.Read more
UK online casinos that offer a £100 deposit bonus are quite common, especially as we see an increase in the number of online casinos, which results in greater competition between them - and better offers for players!Read more
Bankroll Warriors is our hit casino podcast, offering you a look into the world of the best slot games online at the top casinos around. So get right for lights, camera, and spin! Whether you’re after discovering the best bonuses or just after some suggestions for a new game, our new all-star streamer team has got what you need.Read more
Europe is a hotbed for casino gaming activity, and there’s little wonder. With locations like Monte Carlo, London and Malta all playing host to exciting casino escapades, it has quite the popular appeal for players. It is also due to this that many online casino slots have become popular in their own right with players from the continent. So, which ones can be considered the five favourites of European casino players? We’ve got a look at each of these and their inbuilt features below.Read more