Online Casinos in New Zealand
New Zealand neighbours Australia as a country, and while they may share some things in common when it comes to gambling regulations, they are nothing alike. Gambling is illegal in Australia. In New Zealand, any citizen is allowed to gamble at offshore online casinos.
Like most other countries, the first form of gambling to become legal in New Zealand was bookmaking back in 1920 and the first national lotteries became legal in 1933. The Totalizer Agency Board legalised betting on horse racing in 1961 and the first-ever casino opened up in Christchurch in 1994.
It was only in 2003 when the Gambling Act allowed the legalisation of gambling around all of New Zealand. It is now legal for all residents to bet and gamble online as long as they do so on online casinos that are based overseas. However, while it is legal for New Zealand residents to gamble online freely, the casino operators who offer such services must adhere to regulations set out by the Gambling Act of 2003.
Any casino sites in New Zealand should be regulated, safe, and based abroad.
Best Ranked Online Casinos in New Zealand
There are many different online casinos to pick from, but deciding on the best one for you requires a lot of research. We’ve picked out ten excellent choices and described them here.
1. Jackpot Village Casino - 200% up to NZ$500 + 50 FS
This casino has excellent features and many online slots, poker, and live games. The website design is sleek and straightforward, and it’s easy to find your favourite games. The majority of the games Jackpot Village hosts are available on the app too.
Jackpot Village has features that few other casinos have, including multi-play, which allows you to play up to four games simultaneously. You can also play live games, including blackjack, roulette, and baccarat.
- Payment methods accepted: Klarna, Visa, Mastercard, Sofort, Skrill, Neteller, Trustly, Maestro, GiroPay, Bank Transfer, Amex, Revolut, Netspend, BPAY, Fastpay;
- Support: Live chat, email, phone.
Full Jackpot Village casino review.
2. Vulkan Vegas Casino - Up to NZ$1000 + 125 FS + 50 No Deposit FS
Vulkan Vegas might have only launched in 2016, but they’ve already gained a loyal following. The home page advertises their current and ongoing bonuses, and as you scroll down, you’ll see their popular casino games. The website works well on mobile, so you don’t have to download another app. They have an app for Android systems if you do.
Vulkan Vegas put work into the art on the website, which feels a little like a comic book. They have a variety of live games, including blackjack and baccarat.
- Payment methods accepted: Interac, Visa, Mastercard, Skrill, Bank Transfer;
- Support: Live chat, email, phone.
Full Vulkan Vegas casino review.
3. Yaa Casino - 200% up to NZ$200 + 10% Cashback
Yaa Casino launched in 2020, making it one of the newest for New Zealand players. You can navigate their website with the side menu, where you can see the variety of games they offer. The design is clean, and you don’t have to search around on many different pages to find a game you want to play.
Yaa offers New Zealand players many different betting options, including video and live poker games, scratch cards, and slots. You can even sort by the developer.
- Payment methods accepted: ecoPayz, Interac, Paysafecard, Visa, Mastercard;
- Support: Live chat, email.
Full Yaa casino review.
4. Rizk Casino - 100% up to NZ$100 + 50 FS
This casino is also pretty new, but it launched in 2016 and is already one of the highest quality online gambling sites. The website is user-friendly, so you’ll be able to start playing in no time.
Rizk has more than 900 casino games from some of the most well-known developers, including Evolution Gaming, NetEnt, Nyx Gaming, Quickspin, and more. Instead of searching for broad categories like online slots, live casino games, or table games, you can look for detailed categories like high volatility or specific features.
- Payment methods accepted: Visa, Mastercard, Paysafecard, Bank Transfer, PayPal, Trustly;
- Support: Live chat, email, phone.
Full Rizk casino review.
5. CasiGO Casino - Up to NZ$1100 + 375 FS
Another very new casino, CasiGO launched in August 2020 and promises to deliver players the best games. They have an impressive live casino with a diverse collection of top-notch games, including blackjack, roulette, baccarat, poker, Monopoly, and more.
The website is clean and well-designed, so it’s easy for players to navigate. There isn’t a mobile app, but the website is mobile-friendly and available on all devices. Games that developers have optimized are available on the CasiGO mobile website.
- Payment methods accepted: Visa, Mastercard, Trustly, Sofort, Skrill, Interac, Neteller, Paysafecard, Apple Pay, Paypal, Bank Transfer.
- Support: Live chat, Email.
Full Casigo casino review.
6. 888 Casino - 100% up to NZ$200 + 25 FS
888 launched online in 1997, making it one of the oldest casinos on this list. The website is a little more traditional to online casinos, with a side menu and the main content taking up most of the page.
888 advertises its online casino games right away, so you can start playing once you make an account. They have an extensive collection of video slots, classic slots, live games, and scratch cards.
- Payment methods accepted: Ecopayz, MasterCard, Neteller, Paypal, PostePay, Visa, Trustly, Skrill, Astropay, WebMoney, Yandex Money, iDebit, Apple Pay, Interac;
- Support: Live chat, email.
Full 888 casino review.
7. Duelz Casino - Up to NZ$1600 + 200 FS + 10% Cashback
Duelz is another newcomer, only existing online since 2018, and they’re not like other casinos where you play games by yourself. As the name implies, Duelz focuses on duelling other players. For that reason, they don’t have as many games as other casinos. Instead, they focus on competition between players.
Duelz’s website is mobile-friendly, so you can play anywhere. The only downside to their website is the responsive background image, which slows down your device and takes away from gameplay.
- Payment methods accepted: MasterCard, Paysafecard, Visa, Euteller, Trustly, Skrill, Entercash, Zimpler, Interac;
- Support: Live chat.
Full Duelz casino review.
8. True Flip Casino - Up to NZ$1100 + 75 FS
True Flip is another unusual casino, but for different reasons than Duelz. True Flip is a blockchain lottery casino that supports many different cryptocurrencies. Even though it launched in 2016, many New Zealand players use it as their first choice because of its security, RNG, and license.
Another feature that sets True Flip apart from the competition is that it wants to be the first decentralized and open-source casino. It’s dedicated to being completely transparent with its players.
- Payment methods accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Bank Transfer, Much Better, Ecopayz, Paysafecard, Neteller;
- Support: Live Chat, Email, Phone.
Full True Flip casino review.
9. Moi Casino - 200% up to NZ$300
Moi Casino offers players a collection of different slots and live casino games, and you can test them out in a demo version. That way, you don’t have to bet real money to find out if you like the game. The website is straightforward, clean, and easy to navigate, and it’s responsive for mobile devices, even though there isn’t an app.
- Payment methods accepted: Visa, Mastercard, Skrill, Neteller, Paysafecard, Revolut, Ecopayz.
- Support: Live chat, Email.
Full Moi casino review.
10. 20Bet Casino - 100% up to NZ$200
20Bet has a massive collection of online casino games, and it has excellent live dealer games. Some games, like table games and scratch cards, don’t have categories, so you’ll need to know the title of what you’re looking for to find it. Despite that drawback, the website is easy to navigate and it works well on mobile devices.
- Payment methods accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card, Diners Club International, Skrill, Neteller, Ecopayz, Jeton, Interac, Perfect Money, Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum;
- Support: Email.
Full 20Bet casino review.
Is Gambling Legal in New Zealand?
Yes! Gambling online is legal in New Zealand due to the Gambling Act of 2003. The Gambling Act of 2003 effectively replaces the outdated Gaming and Lotteries Act 1977 and the Casino Control Act 1990, setting out guidelines for online casinos to operate. The act is meant to protect gamblers from fraudulent online casinos and creates a safe and secure online environment.
In relation to online casinos, it means that Kiwis are free to gamble as long as the website and its server are based overseas. Luckily, most well-established online casinos are indeed based outside of New Zealand, making the majority of casino websites accessible to New Zealand players.
New Zealand does not have its own legislative gambling commission, meaning that you will not find a casino licence granted by a New Zealand-based authority. This is not necessary given that players can only gamble at overseas operators as mentioned above.
If you do stumble across an online casino that advertises as being in possession of a New Zealand gambling licence, it is most likely an unsafe casino. You should look for valid licences issued by the Malta Gaming Authority, the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, the Gibraltar Government or the Curacao Government, or another trustworthy jurisdiction, as these indicate a valid online casino.
Taxes for New Zealand Online Casinos
Nowadays, New Zealanders can play all of their favourite slot and table games using the New Zealand dollar. In fact, the revenue department treats gambling as a hobby and no tax is deducted from any of your winnings. This means that Kiwi natives are exempt from paying any tax on their gambling winnings and can keep all their winnings to themselves.
What Makes An Online Casino in NZ Great?
Although many casinos seem similar, there are a few things you really want to watch out for when picking the one for you. We cover as much as we can in each casino guide that we research and write, but ultimately there are a few key factors that can determine Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Regulated: If a casino is a legitimate one, then it will have all the necessary licenses and regulations that will allow you to put your mind at ease while you play. Typically speaking, the license details will be found on a casino’s terms and conditions page. For NZ players, all casinos will be licensed outside of New Zealand, so a good tip is to look for a Malta (MGA) licence or another reputable licence.
- Customer Care: customer support always comes at the forefront of any casino’s priority, which is why many offer 24/7 live chat services. Always check the FAQ page to check if the answer to your question is there before contacting a customer care representative.
- Game Selection: as always, some casinos will have a larger game selection than others. Your typical casino will have at least 200 games but this can vary from anything between 200 to several thousand. Each and every casino will have a variety of table games, live games and slot games.
- Depositing Methods: When you need to place a deposit or withdraw money from a casino, there will be a number of payment methods for you to choose from, including Skrill, Neteller and Paysafecard. Using these banking methods should reassure you that your money is safe, and many if not all of them accept the NZ dollar.
Best Online Casinos New Zealand
There are a few online casinos in New Zealand that we know are great, in addition to the ones we've put on our top lists.
||Up to €500
||Up to $1000
||125 + 50 no deposit
||Up to €200
||Up to €100
||Up to $200
With real money gambling, online pokie games, online blackjack, and plenty of goodies like the chance of a signup bonus or match bonus, we've listed only the best ones.
Best Casino Games for New Zealand
With so many games available in online casinos, what are the pros and cons of each one? Here are a few tips to guide you in the right direction when playing at a casino from New Zealand.
Slots or Pokies
for any non-New Zealand citizen, pokies are what are commonly known as slots. These are the most popular form of gambling in New Zealand at the moment, and we can definitely understand why. Taking a look at online slots, you will find themes varying from favourite movies, to current trends, emojis, childhood tales, political satires and so much more. With big wins possible on the reels, they only continue to be more popular as time goes on, with plenty of kinds to choose from.
Blackjack, Roulette and Poker are all available at your typical online casino. You will usually have two options here: play games such as video poker, which use an RNG (random number generator), or play live games with a live dealer who will shuffle the cards for you themselves; it depends on what you prefer.
Online poker, for instance, can be played as live poker or video poker (without a dealer), so just pick whichever you prefer! Live casino gives you the benefit of feeling like you're really there, but video table games give you just as much fun at your own pace.
Online casinos are great, but ones that are able to capture the feeling of being in a brick and mortar casino are even better. Live casino games are available for players from NZ, with the best professionals manning some of the best games like roulette, blackjack, and even fun casino twists on board games such as live monopoly.
This sector of the casino experience is very popular in New Zealand. As with every country, there are betting favourites, and in this case, the favourites include Rugby Union, Cricket, Football and Netball. Rugby Union is probably the all-time favourite in winter, and cricket in summer.
Best Casino Software in New Zealand
There are tons of games available for NZ players, but which are some of the best-known companies that make the biggest games on the NZ market? With some gaming providers creating games for 10+ years, there is plenty to pick from if a player at a New Zealand online casino wants a top-quality game.
Casino Bonuses for New Zealand Gamblers
One of the best things that come with joining a new casino is the welcome bonuses that accompany it. NZ players are just as welcome to these welcome bonuses as players from other countries! If you do your homework right, you might be in for some big cash in casinos in NZ.
No Deposit Bonus
If casinos are feeling particularly generous, they will offer players a no deposit bonus, which means that you will get a bonus just for registering. If you’re not quite sure on whether you'd like to stick with a particular casino yet, perhaps consider finding these kinds of casinos to take them out on a test run first.
You may also get some free cash just for signing up but be aware that these promotions often have specific usage terms so be sure to read the terms and conditions of the site before you register and play.
Deposit bonuses are among some of the best casino bonuses you can claim. These are usually given out whenever you make your first deposit with a casino, giving you a bit more to play with.
Welcome bonuses depend on what you like, if you’re more into slots, then a welcome bonus with free spins is probably smart, whereas if you’re more into table games, a percentage match up alone is probably a better option. Some casinos also offer welcome bonuses based on their sportsbook section, too, so be on the lookout for those if they're what you're interested in.
Make sure to always read the terms and conditions carefully before signing up to any casino for their welcome bonus, as these bonuses often have terms attached.