Sun and Moon
Sun and Moon is a 5 reel, 20 payline slot with an Aztec/Mayan design and gentle soundtrack that was launched in 2014 by Australian game developer Aristocrat. The slot offers simple gameplay that's perfect for beginners, with a setup that doesn't overcomplicate, while still offering excitement, win potential and unique characteristics. Not many slots offer two wild symbols that also serve as the feature-triggering scatters!
Explore this game in detail with Sun and Moon Free Play demo mode and read on to discover more, including RTP, features and some tricks for playing!
|Software Aristocrat||Variance Medium||Jackpot No|
|Reels 5||Free Spins Yes||Bet Range 0.20 - 100|
|Paylines 10||Bonus Rounds No|
Play This Game For Real
|Rank Casino Name Bonus Offer Secure Link|
|Slots Palace Casino|
Theme of Sun and Moon Slot
Sun and Moon offer an attractive Aztec/Mayan design, which you'll notice from the moment you first open the game. In the background, the bottom two-thirds of the screen is filled with a dark and light blue Aztec pattern, while the top third features a night sky complete with stars and shadows of the countryside. This background changes to a much brighter, daytime version if you trigger the game's free spins feature. The game's five reels are set on top of this background and consist of a kind of papery or fabric design onto which the symbols are placed.
The slot's various symbols, such as the ring, head, sun and moon, echo the intricate patterns of the Aztec/Mayan culture, with a pyramid serving as an important symbol in the game. This is one of the favourite games by American casino players. The sun and moon symbols work very similarly in this slot, which is comparable to the ancient Mesoamerican culture's belief that these celestial objects, or gods, as they saw them, worked together to have a great deal of influence over people's lives. Indeed, the sun and moon symbols and the pyramid symbol unlock the game's special features, which we'll cover shortly.
Soundtrack of This Game
When you first open the game, you'll be met by the sound of a woodwind instrument slowly blowing smooth melodic tones. This relaxing melody is accompanied by the sound of water flowing and dripping as if you were standing at the mouth of a cave as the water flows in front of it and hits the stone ground below. The objective here was undoubted to create a sense of serenity amidst the beauty of nature and the sound effects do a good job of that.
The excitement level is turned up a notch if you trigger the free spins feature. You'll be under no illusion as to what's happened as landing the triggering symbols results in an alarm bell sounding. The soundtrack then picks up in pace and intensity to match the increased win potential of the feature.
Gameplay sound effects begin when you hit the spin button, which emits a brief click before the reels start spinning, each one coming to rest with a gentle clack. Trigger a small win and a short blippy outburst will notify you, while a larger win results in a more pronounced sound effect. Land one of the game's wild symbols in the right positions and an abrupt exclamation will sound, signifying a pivotal moment. The pyramid symbol also emits its own unique sound when it appears on the reels, again to accentuate its importance.
Sun and Moon give players two main features to watch out for during the course of gameplay, but a few symbols carry extra weight in this game and play a bit differently compared to what you might have found in other slots. Let's take a closer look at these special symbols and the features that await you:
- 2 Wilds: Not many games boast two different wild symbols, especially not in the base game, but that's the case here! Both the gold sun symbol and the silver moon symbol play as wilds in this game, substituting for all other symbols to help you make up winning lines.
- Scatter and Wild: In addition to the sun and moon symbols playing as wilds, they also both serve as the scatter symbols that unlock this slot's free spins feature!
- Pyramid Bonus: The ancient pyramid symbol only appears on reel 2 and when it does, it will change to another random symbol, giving you another chance to win!
- Free Spins Feature: Look out for those sun and moon symbols as 2, 3, 4 or 5 of them on the reels consecutively starting from the leftmost will trigger 5, 10, 20 or 50 free spins respectively, during which your wins will be doubled!
There are a few ways you can control and adjust how much you bet on Sun and Moon. Firstly, attached to the spin button you'll see small + and - buttons that you can use to play 1, 10, 25, 50, 75 or 100 spins automatically, without having to keep hitting the spin button each time.
Of course, before you do that you'll want to check out the available bet sizes. These can be found under Bet per Line, with the green + and - buttons allowing you to choose your preferred value from 0.05 up to 5.
You can also choose how many of the game's 20 paylines you wish to play as another way of adjusting how much you're betting. Choose from 1, 5, 10, 15 or all 20 paylines.
Once you've made your adjustments, your total bet per spin will be displayed where it says Total Bet. To pay using your selected options, simply hit the spin button.
RTP and Volatility
When comparing online slot games, there are two measurements that come in handy: Return to Player (RTP) and Volatility (or Variance).
A slot's RTP is a measure of how much of the money that's paid into the game is expected to be paid out to players over the long term. It's usually expressed as a percentage, with the industry average tending to be somewhere in the region of 96%. It's helpful to think of the RTP as the reverse of the house edge, which is the cut that the casino takes. In the case of Sun and Moon, the RTP is slightly lower than average at 95%.
When it comes to volatility, slots that payout small amounts fairly frequently and don't vary much from that structure are said to be of low volatility or variance, while slots that payout larger amounts but vary wildly in how much and how often they pay are classed as high volatility. Sun and Moon sit somewhere on the low to medium end of that scale, with wins that are typically smaller and more stable.
Sun and Moon Tricks
Keen to trigger a big win in Sun and Moon? You'll be pleased to know that in addition to watching out for the symbols that trigger the free spins feature and that unique pyramid on reel 2 for a bonus chance, there are a few tweaks you can make that will increase your chances of winning. Let's check them out:
- Play all 20 paylines: Though you do have the option to play as few as just one payline, we recommend you don't as do so will dramatically reduce your chances of winning as well as result in smaller wins. For the best chances of winning, make sure you're playing all 20 paylines
- Bet max: If you want to win more, it makes sense to increase your bet size. In some cases, slots play better at larger bet sizes but remember to play only as much as you can afford to lose
- Look out for the wilds: You're spoiled here with not one, but two different wild symbols, the gold sun and the silver moon, which will stand in for any other symbol on the reels to help make up winning lines so keep an eye out for those
- Watch for the pyramid: That pyramid symbol on reel 2 is your second chance for a win in the same spin, so cross your fingers that it turns up the right symbol when it appears!
- Line up those scatters: The sun and moon symbols are also the game's trigger to the free spins feature, but unlike other scatter symbols, these ones have to be lined up on consecutive reels. Luckily though, only a minimum of two are needed!
Play Sun and Moon With Real Money
Sun and Moon is a nice, simple 5 reel slot to play, particularly if you've never played slots before or are unfamiliar with those involving more than 3 reels and/or 3 paylines. Not only does it offer an attractive Aztec/Mayan design, but you'll also benefit from the simple but rewarding random symbol and free spins features.
Give this slot a go in demo mode to see how it works, then when you're ready to play for real, simply join any of the best online casinos featured on our site, all of which have been carefully reviewed by our team of experienced professionals. Once you've opened an account there, make your first deposit, claiming a welcome bonus where available, then open the Sun and Moon slot and start playing to win for real!